1. Portion control. If you’re going to be attending any barbeques or parties there is sure to be tons of different food. Some may be your all-time favorites while others may be new recipes that look amazing. The key to enjoying your party is not to restrict what you eat but how much.
2. Pick your favorites. Even with portion control it can be hard not to over eat at a party. When you arrive and find that there is enough food to literally feed a small army it is time to pick and choose what you want to eat. Look over your options and select a few that you are excited to try and leave the rest for the other guests.
3. Fill up on fruit and veggies first. When there is just way too much temptation in front of you, make sure to eat a plate full of fruit and veggies first before moving on to the higher calorie items (plus we could all use some more veggies and fruits in our diet anyway!).
4. Slow down and don't eat past your point of comfort. We have all had that uncomfortable, bloated feeling we get when we have eaten way too much. To avoid this try to eat slower and give your brain a chance to catch up with your stomach. On average it takes about 15 minutes for the brain to receive the message that your stomach is full.
5. Eat a good breakfast. Many people think that by skipping breakfast that will balance out any extra calories they consume later in the day. By doing this you are making an excuse to over indulge. Instead eat your breakfast and use the above 4 tips to enjoy the feast later in the day.
I hope that everyone has a safe and happy 4th of July, and if you can't seem to resist over indulging don't feel too guilty, Independence Day only comes once a year!